Central Government Holiday List 2021 PDF Download
List of Holidays to be observed during the year 2021 for Central Government Offices located in New Delhi and Delhi
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
(Department of Personnel and Training)
Establishment (JCA-2) Section
North Block, New Delhi
Dated the 10th June 2020
Subject: Holidays to be observed in Central Government Offices during the year 2021- reg.
It has been decided that the holidays, as specified in the Annexure-I to this 0.M., will be observed in all the Administrative Offices of the Central Government located at Delhi/New Delhi during the year 2021. In addition, each employee will also be allowed to avail himself/herself of any two holidays to be chosen by him/her out of the list of Restricted Holidays specified at Annexure-II.
2. Central Government Administrative Offices located outside Delhi / New Delhi shall observe the following holidays compulsorily in addition to three holidays, to be chosen out of the 12 optional holidays indicated below at para 3.1:
1. REPUBLIC DAY
2. INDEPENDENCE DAY
3. MAHATMA GANDHI’S BIRTHDAY
4. BUDDHA PURNIMA
5. CHRISTMAS DAY
6. DUSSEHRA (VIJAY DASHMI)
7. DIWALI (DEEPAVALI)
8. GOOD FRIDAY
9. GURU NANAK’S BIRTHDAY
10. IDU’L FITR
11. IDU’L ZUHA
12. MAHAVIR JAYANTI
14. PROPHET MOHAMMAD’S BIRTHDAY (ID-E-MILAD)
3.1. In addition to the above 14 Compulsory holidays mentioned in para 2, three holidays shall be chosen by the Central Government Employees Welfare Coordination Committee in the State Capitals, if necessary, in consultation with Coordination Committees at other places in the State, from the list indicated below. The final list, applicable uniformly to all Central Government offices within the concerned State, shall be notified accordingly and no change can be carried out thereafter. It is also clarified that no change is permissible in the festivals and dates, as indicated at Annexure -I and Annexure-11 baring a few exceptions indicated at para 5.1 and 5.2 hereinafter.
1. AN ADDITIONAL DAY FOR DUSSEHRA
3. JANAMASHTAMI (VAISHNAVI)
4. RAM NAVAMI
5. MAHA SHIVRATRI
6. GANESH CHATURTHI VINAYAK CHATURTHI
7. MAKAR SANKARANTI
8. RATH YATRA
11. SRI PANCHAMI I BASANT PANCHAMI
12. VISHU / VAISAKHI / VAISAKHADI / BHAG BIHU / MASHADI UGADI / CHAITRA SUKLADI / CHETI CHAND / GUDI PADAVA / 1st NAVRATRA / NAORAZ / CHHATH POOJA / KARVA CHAUTH.
3.2. No substitute holiday should be allowed if any of the festival holidays, initially declared, subsequently happens to fall on a weekly off or any other non-working day or in the event of more than one festivals falling on the same day.
4. The list of Restricted Holidays appended as a.nnexure-II to this D.M. is meant for Central Government Offices located in Delhi / New Delhi. The Coordination Committees at the State Capitals may draw up separate list of Restricted Holidays keeping in view the occasions of local importance. However, the 9 occasions left over, after choosing the 3 variable holidays in para 3.1 above, are to be included in the list of restricted holidays.
5.1 For offices in Delhi / New Delhi, any change in the date of holidays in respect of Idu’l Fitr, Zuha, Muharram and Id-e-Milad, if necessary, depending upon sighting of the Moon, would be declared by the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions after ascertaining the position from the Govt. of NCT of Delhi (DCP, Special Branch, Delhi Police).
5.2 For offices outside Delhi / New Delhi, the Central Government Employees Welfare Coordination Committees at the State Capitals are authorised to change the date of holiday, if necessary, based on the decision of the concerned State Governments / Union Territories, in respect of Idu’l Fitr, Idu’l Zuha, Muharram and Id-e-Milad.
5.3 It may happen that the change of date in respect of the above occasions has to be declared at a very short notice. In such a situation, announcement could be made through P.I.B / T.V. / A.I.R. / Newspapers and the Heads of Department / Offices of the Central Government may take action according to such an announcement, without waiting for a formal order, about the change of date.
6. During 2021, Diwali (Deepavali) falls on Thursday, November 4, 2021 (Kartika 13). In certain States, the practice is to celebrate the occasion a day in advance, i.e., on “Naraka Chaturdasi Day”. In view of this, there is no objection if holiday on account of Deepavali is observed on “Naraka Chaturdasi Day (in place of Deepavali. Day) for the Central Government Offices in a State if in that State that day alone is declared as a compulsory holiday for Diwali for the offices of the State Government.
7. Central Government Organisations which include industrial, commercial and trading establishments would observe up to 16 holidays in a year including three national holidays viz. Republic Day, Independence Day and Mahatma Gandhi’s birthday, as compulsory holidays. The remaining holidays/occasions may be determined by such establishments/ organisations themselves for the year 2021, subject to para 3.2 above.
8. Union Territory Administrations shall decide the list of holidays in terms of Instructions issued in this regard by the Ministry of Home Affairs.
9. In respect of Indian Missions abroad, the number of holidays may be notified in accordance with the instructions contained in this Department’s O.M. No.12/5/2002-JCA dated 17th December, 2002. In other words, they will have the option to select 13(Thirteen) holidays of their own only after including in the list, three National Holidays and Mahavir Jayanti, Independence Day, Mahatma Gandhi’s birthday included in the list of compulsory holidays and falling on days of weekly off.
10. In respect of Banks, the holidays shall be regulated in terms of the extant instructions issued by the Department of Financial Services, Ministry of Finance.
11. Hindi version will follow.
Deputy Secretary to the Govt. of India
17 Gazetted Holiday List 2021
List of 17 Gazetted Holidays for Central Govt Administrative Offices located in Delhi / New Delhi during the year 2021
- Republic Day – 26 January 2021 – Tuesday
- Holi – 29 March 2021 – Monday
- Good Friday – 2 April 2021 – Friday
- Ram Navami – 21 April 2021 – Wednesday
- Mahavir Jayanti – 25 April 2021 – Sunday
- Id-ul-Fitr – 14 May 2021 – Friday
- Budha Purnima – 26 May 2021 – Wednesday
- Id-ul-Zuha (Bakrid) – 21 July 2021 – Wednesday
- Independence Day – 15 August 2021 – Sunday
- Muharram 20 August 2021 – Friday
- Janmashtami – 30 August 2021 – Monday
- Mahatma Gandhi’s Birthday – 02 October 2021 – Saturday
- Dussehra – 15 October 2021 – Friday
- Milad-un-Nabi or Id-e-Milad [Birthday of Prophet Mohammad) – 19 October 2021 – Tuesday
- Diwali (Deepavali) – 04 November 2021 – Thursday
- Guru Nanak’s Birthday – 19 November 2021 – Friday
- Christmas Day – 25 December 2021 – Saturday
34 Restricted Holiday List 2021
List of 34 Restricted Holidays for Central Govt Administrative Offices located in Delhi / New Delhi during the year 2021
- New Year’s Day – 01 January 2021 – Friday
- Lohri – 13 January 2021 – Wednesday
- Makar Sankranti/Magha Bihu/ Pongal – 14 January 2021 – Thursday
- Guru Gobind Singh’s Birthday – 20 January 2021 – Wednesday
- Basant Panchami /Sri Panchami – 16 February 2021 – Tuesday
- Shivaji Jayanti – 19 February 2021 – Friday
- Hazarat Ali’s Birthday – 26 February 2021 – Friday
- Guru Ravi Das’s Birthday – 27 February 2021 – Saturday
- Swami Dayananda Saraswati Jayanti – 08 March 2021 – Monday
- Maha Shivaratri – 11 March 2021 – Thursday
- Holika Dahan/Dolyatra – 28 March 2021 – Sunday
- Easter Sunday – 04 April 2021 – Sunday
- (Jhaitra Sukladi / Gudi Padava / Ugadi / Cheti Chand / Vaisakhi /Vishu – 13 April 2021 – Tuesday
- Mesadi Tamil New Year’s Day – 14 April 2021 – Wednesday
- Vaisakhadi (Bengal) / Bahag Bihu (Assam) – 15 April 2021 – Thursday
- Jamat-Ul-Vida – 07 May 2021 – Friday
- Guru Rabindranath’s birthday – 09 May 2021 – Sunday
- Rath Yatra – 12 July 2021 – Monday
- Parsi New Year’s day/Nauraj – 16 August 2021 – Monday
- Onam or Thiru Onam Day – 21 August 2021 – Saturday
- Raksha Bandhan – 22 August 2021 – Sunday
- Janmashtami (Smarta) – 30 August 2021 – Monday
- Vinayaka Chaturthi/ Ganesh Chaturthi – 10 September 2021 – Friday
- Dussehra (Saptami) – 12 October 2021 – Tuesday
- Dussehra (Mahashtami) – 13 October 2021 – Wednesday
- Dussehra (Mahanavmi) – 14 October 2021 – Thursday
- Maharishi Valmiki’s Birthday – 20 October 2021 – Wednesday
- Karaka Chaturthi (Karwa Chouth) – 24 October 2021 – Sunday
- Naraka Chaturdasi – 03 November 2021 – Wednesday
- Govardhan Puja – 05 November 2021 – Friday
- Bhai Duj – 06 November 2021 – Saturday
- Pratihar Shashthi or Surya Shashthi (Chhat Puja) – 10 November 2021 – Wednesday
- Guru Teg Bahadur’s Martyrdom Day – 24 November 2021 – Wednesday
- Christmas Eve – 24 December 2021 – Friday